Thursday, November 21, 2013

Someone Who Inspires Me - Research Project


Someone Who Inspires Me
I’ve been playing tennis with this girl named Brittny for about 2 years now and every time I see her play I’m always amazed. I’m amazed to a point that if I hat to make only one bet for the rest of my life and put my house on it, I’d bet that she will become a professional tennis player. I always love to compete with Brittny, even though she beats me most times, because I know I’ll be able to say “I played with that pro tennis player when I was young.” I watch Brittny every time it’s her turn to go when we’re drilling and amazed at how hard she hits the ball and how clean her swing is. She puts so much effort into each ball and plays it like the last. But I think this inner-drive came from somewhere else. I know that Brittny doesn’t come from a very wealthy family at all, needless to say her father is always present and is one of the greatest people I’ve met. Recently, she got a 95% scholarship to Poly Prep for Tennis and went 11-1 in her Freshman Year to cap off an undefeated season for Poly Prep. I always wonder how such an unprivileged girl coming from an unprivileged neighborhood, plays tennis (which is an expensive game), is so good at it, stays so focused, and can fit right in with upper-class private school kids and take over as Captain in her first year their. It’s because she has a drive. She has a drive that no one else has. I’ve gotten to know Brittny very well as we see each other twice a week and talk. Never has her ego gotten in the way despite all of her recent success. She is a year older than me but treats me no different. When me and her play a close match and she edges me out by one point we just have a nice handshake and she goes off and tells me about something other than tennis. But what I don’t do, is tell her that she will become pro even if it is obvious in everyone’s eyes. Because I want her to get their. And by telling her, it’s un-necessary because it may throw her off. I know she’ll get there one day and hopefully I’ll be able to tell her how she’s inspired me and how even though she started out at the bottom, she’ll make it to the top. I know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment